AUSSIEPOLITICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSSIEPOLITICS

Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritas

Veritas

Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II Empty
PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptyThu 11 Oct 2018, 7:46 pm

Triggs on The Drum on the ABC today...  oh dear...  why don't these people just go away...?
Back to top Go down
The Grappler

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptyMon 08 Oct 2018, 12:33 pm

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptyMon 08 Oct 2018, 11:33 am

I wonder whether Mr Chin Tan will get the nickname Tim Tam? Laughing

Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II Shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRk3oIZCk7aFzIdRsJtu7yQ9WKM2nXa9ktJxz2l8nVtkQgkWJ3eC70JNm-lqme-3D53fC8nzdVNgg&usqp=CAc
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptyMon 08 Oct 2018, 10:18 am

His predecessor was a fool and an activist alarmist who like an ambulance chasing lawyer sought to create division and play up difference to enable and justify his position.
Back to top Go down
The Grappler

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptySun 07 Oct 2018, 12:09 am

Indeed - that is the society in which we live - and a fine reason for men and women of good will to be online and seeking to spread enlightenment and understanding. I actually expect that someone will take exception to my initial, very neutral, comment, and give me heaps over it as a 'racist' remark simply for discussing the issue.

I'll wait on the appointee's performance - but if his predecessor is anything to go by I don't expect too much other than trite statements signifying nothing in reality, but playing to the emotions of some out there who are the modern true believers.

He will be, after all, on the payroll of the PC mob, from which no political party is exempt, and will do their bidding as passed to him via wine and lunches.... nothing official.
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptySat 06 Oct 2018, 8:43 pm

yep, that is undeniably true...  the rest of us are obviously racist...
Back to top Go down
The Grappler

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptySat 06 Oct 2018, 7:33 am

I'm always struck by the undeniable fact that anyone appointed to such a position must always be foreign born etc... one unfortunate aspect of this is that it maintains the underlying presumption that racism only works one way..... dead horse
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II EmptyFri 05 Oct 2018, 2:59 pm

IMO an unnecessary position and a waste of good money.
Let's hope they get it right this time.

'Balancing' act: Australia's new race commissioner is not inclined to commentary or advocacy

By Michael Koziol
4 October 2018

Chin Leong Tan, Australia's new race discrimination commissioner, sees his role very differently to predecessor Tim Soutphommasane. For one thing, he is not inclined to commentary or advocacy. Instead, he approaches issues with a clinical dispassion befitting his background as a commercial and property lawyer. One of his favourite words is "balance".
Take the most controversial debate in race politics last year: the bid to repeal or dilute section 18C of the Racial Discrimination Act, which makes it unlawful to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person on the basis of race.
"It’s not for me to comment on legislation that’s been there for 40-odd years," says Mr Tan, who takes up his new position on Monday.
"Law is a living creature. If there’s the community sense that it’s time to perhaps look at some changes … my role is really to then arbitrate, and not to push for a view."

Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II 317cfe87c61fe08531576f06bc836175dfde6e9d

Incoming Race Discrimination Commissioner Chin Tan.Credit:Eddie Jim

When pushed, he praises section 18C as "a reflection of Australian values and views that we have". But it is not clear if he believes those values should endure regardless of the prevailing sentiments in Canberra.

Advertisement

"I defend the existing section 18C for what it is ... it’s there as a law and I comply with the law," Mr Tan says. 
It's a similar story when it comes to African gang violence in Victoria. The debate has elicited claims of race-baiting and dog-whistling ahead of a state election - particularly directed at Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, who claimed Melburnians were afraid to go out to restaurants at night.
"He has a view and he expressed it. People had opposing views. That’s largely the debate that’s going on out there," Mr Tan says.
"It’s not my role to canvass an opinion about what politicians say from time to time, unless it becomes a public issue of a dimension that requires my involvement within the confines the Act."
The clash with Dr Soutphommasane's approach, particularly during his final months, could hardly be more stark. In his final speech, the former commissioner warned "race politics is back", and singled out Malcolm Turnbull, Mr Dutton, Tony Abbott, Andrew Bolt and others for criticism.
Dr Soutphommasane is a former Labor staffer and was appointed to the role by Labor in the dying days of the second Rudd government. Mr Tan unsuccessfully sought Liberal Party preselection in an on-again, off-again relationship with the party - he said he resigned his membership about a month ago after resuming it last year.

Attorney-General Christian Porter praised Mr Tan as "a well-known and recognised leader in the multicultural community" who would "represent all Australians".
In a clear departure from his predecessor, Mr Tan said there were limits to the power of "calling out" racism - even for the race discrimination commissioner.
"Calling out racism is very important, but I want to be very careful that we put things in context - because I do share a view that that can be overplayed sometimes," he said.
"It's important to remember the race discrimination [commissioner] role is not meant to divide, it’s meant to enhance communities and strengthen them."
Mr Tan was born in Malaysia to Chinese parents, and migrated to Melbourne in the 1980s. After leaving commercial law in 2011, he headed the Victorian Multicultural Commission, and since 2015 he has been director of multicultural engagement at Swinburne University of Technology.
His new $350,000-a-year job sits within the Australian Human Rights Commission, which has been the focus of political argy-bargy since the Coalition's spectacular falling out with former president Gillian Triggs over asylum seekers. Some conservatives argued for the race discrimination role to be scrapped or renamed, but the government opted to do neither.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II   Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II Empty

Back to top Go down

Race Discrimination Commisioner Mk II
Page 1 of 1