AUSSIEPOLITICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSSIEPOLITICS

Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Panic Buying Says About Australians

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobby2

Bobby2

What Panic Buying Says About Australians Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyWed 11 Mar 2020, 6:44 pm

Neferti wrote:
I use Firefox.  I had to save the picture to my desktop then use the "host an image" thing though. Sometimes just "copy and paste" works too.  This is a FREE Forum so we get what we get since it costs nothing. :D

I just tried that and it still doesn't work.
I saw the image as a thumbnail but it didn't load onto the post reply.

Doesn't matter - I'll just use links to images in future.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyWed 11 Mar 2020, 7:04 am

I use Firefox.  I had to save the picture to my desktop then use the "host an image" thing though. Sometimes just "copy and paste" works too.  This is a FREE Forum so we get what we get since it costs nothing. :D
Back to top Go down
Bobby2

Bobby2

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyTue 10 Mar 2020, 5:51 pm

You did it champ.
Maybe it's my Mozilla Firefox browser?

What browser are you using?
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyTue 10 Mar 2020, 6:39 am

What Panic Buying Says About Australians Hoardi10
Back to top Go down
Bobby2

Bobby2

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyTue 10 Mar 2020, 5:16 am

Neferti wrote:
Bobby2 wrote:
Arrest hoarders:

What Panic Buying Says About Australians Hoarding_in_Melbourne

The image won't work.
I don't know what's wrong with this website.
Should work. Do you have a link and I will give it a try?

Yes - the link is

http://www.ozpolitic.com/album/forum-attachments/Hoarding_in_Melbourne.jpg
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyMon 09 Mar 2020, 11:58 am

Bobby2 wrote:
Arrest hoarders:

The image won't work.
Should work. Do you have a link and I will give it a try?
Back to top Go down
Bobby2

Bobby2

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptyMon 09 Mar 2020, 10:56 am

Arrest hoarders:

The image won't work.
Back to top Go down
Bobby2

Bobby2

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptySun 08 Mar 2020, 3:49 pm

Neferti wrote:
Unbelievable that people are fighting about toilet paper. Morons. :shock:

They were charged with affray by the cops.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptySun 08 Mar 2020, 9:57 am

Unbelievable that people are fighting about toilet paper. Morons. :shock:
Back to top Go down
Bobby2

Bobby2

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptySun 08 Mar 2020, 6:42 am

Surely we can avoid this?

I'd be pissed off as well if one greedy shopper had a whole trolley full of
the last dunny rolls and I only wanted one pack or even one roll.

I would have just grabbed a pack and taken it to the checkout.

People are frightened and they are pissed off
at the greed of other people who take a whole trolley load for themselves
and don't give a fuck about anyone else.
It just proves what they have always thought that -
no one cares about them at all - not at all.
It's a dog eat dog society.

People turn into animals when put under survival pressure.

Farm dogs have to be put on a tether lead when given food on a farm
so that each dog can only access the food given to them or
they will fight over the food and take it from other dogs as well
as eating their own food.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians EmptySat 07 Mar 2020, 11:04 am

Clinical psychologist helps us understand why people are stockpiling toilet paper

A clinical psychologist helps us understand where the obsession with toilet paper began and what it says about the people falling for stockpiling.

The death toll from the coronavirus is rising by the minute, global share markets are shedding trillions of dollars and Australia is apparently on the cusp of a recession.

But the key takeaway from the week’s news is people are wild about their toilet paper.

The virus has claimed thousands of lives around the world but is still yet to be classified as a pandemic, with cases in Australia seemingly concentrated to returning cruise ships, quarantine spots and a nursing home.

Yet fear has swept the nation, materialising in a hysterical wave of panicked stockpiling of groceries.

Canned foods, bleach and other household essentials have been snatched up but it’s the empty shelves of toilet rolls that have captured the imagination of social media.

There was even rumours of a knife being pulled over one battle for dwindling loo paper, while news sites from New York to London have reported on the toilet paper supermarket scuffle.

“There’s quite a few things going on here and it is therefore a fairly complex issue,” clinical psychologist Dr Ros Knight told news.com.au.

“For whatever reason, and there could be a few contributing factors, people are getting quite anxious about COVID-19.”
Dr Knight, who is also president of the Australian Psychological Society, said the bizarre reaction is likely the result of concerned consumers trying to take ownership of a seemingly helpless endemic.

And she implored Australians to express their anxiety in a healthy way and instead focus on understanding the real dangers of the virus rather than the unnecessary hysteria.

“If you’re hearing about a virus that’s going to cause a pandemic and it’s killing people all over the world, if you’re hearing the hype rather than the facts then you go ‘what am I going to do to protect myself? I might end up stuck at home for a while so I’ll make sure I stock up,” she said.

“In reality, of course, it’s not necessary or at least definitely not at this point. It’s not an appropriate response to the level of threat we’re currently under.”

Dr Knight says both traditional and non-traditional media have a part to play in this.
Streem, a media monitoring group, released data on Thursday revealing the phrase “toilet paper” in coronavirus stories had surged by nearly 11,000 per cent compared to the previous six weeks.

This kind of dialogue has contributed to the inappropriate response from a large section of the country relative to the real threat of the virus, she said.

Dr Knight says it’s OK for people to be a little anxious but it’s important to proceed with a rational and well-informed response.
“And that’s really about sticking to the facts — getting on to the Department of Health website or listening to sources where the talk comes from the fact, not allowing themselves to get overwhelmed,” Dr Knight told news.com.au.
Queensland University of Technology retail expert Dr Gary Mortimer said the shortage was exacerbated by the bulky nature of the products and supermarkets’ inability to stockpile them in storerooms.

“The challenge with toilet paper is it comes in big, bulky packets and supermarkets can really only hold 150 to 200 packets in an aisle – those packets fill up an aisle pretty quickly,” he explained.
“Because they’re holding very little toilet paper because of space restrictions, it only takes 100 people to walk in and buy two packets instead of one for suddenly the demand to go up by 100 per cent.

“If you walk down the canned tuna aisle you might see a couple of gaps but if you sell 200 packets of toilet paper, you end up with an empty aisle which people think means a crisis with no toilet paper anywhere. But there is toilet paper – it’s just coming in the back door.

“They replenish it overnight, and then sell out by lunchtime.”
Ritchies Stores chief executive Fred Harrison said we all had a part to play in distilling the panic.
“We need the public to be a little bit more responsible,” the supermarket boss said in a statement provided to news.com.au.
“We’re not going to be isolated indoors for months — we will be able to get out and shop.

“There is no shortage of toilet rolls if people purchased sensibly and there’s absolutely no need to panic buy.
“Manufacturers can tool up, but it does take time and it’s not something that can be fixed in 24 – 48 hours.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/clinical-psychologist-helps-us-understand-why-people-are-stockpiling-toilet-paper/news-story/2c5c25f1b556b6e559bd6f22493c28f3
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Panic Buying Says About Australians   What Panic Buying Says About Australians Empty

Back to top Go down

What Panic Buying Says About Australians
Page 1 of 1