AUSSIEPOLITICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSSIEPOLITICS

Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Bobby2

Bobby2

Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad Empty
PostSubject: Re: Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad   Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 7:47 pm

Neferti wrote:
One of the comments was:

Quote :
An in-home carer or nursing job is not the same as other jobs. A person has to feel 100% trust and safety to allow that carer into their home. In this case, it should remain the individuals right to have the support worker to be their same gender, or same nationality etc.

The reality is there is always some form of ”discrimination” in life. 
For example if a person who isn't ”classically attractive” applies for a modelling job they will be knocked back. Is this any less discrimination than race-based discrimination?
Or a modelling job might ask for a certain race model & you might get knocked back - 
so what happens there?

There need to be some limitations and we should not discriminate people with Autism or those with other disabilities rights to who they choose.

Otherwise it becomes a slippery slope - what next?
Not allowing disabled or elderly people to choose a carer of the same gender?

IF you need somebody to care for you at home, you certainly should be allowed to choose whatever since you are paying for it! I definitely wouldn't trust some Sudanese bloke in my house, especially if I was disabled in any way. Laughing

Me either - how would you like to have black hands on you?
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad   Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 5:45 pm

One of the comments was:

Quote :
An in-home carer or nursing job is not the same as other jobs. A person has to feel 100% trust and safety to allow that carer into their home. In this case, it should remain the individuals right to have the support worker to be their same gender, or same nationality etc.

The reality is there is always some form of ”discrimination” in life. 
For example if a person who isn't ”classically attractive” applies for a modelling job they will be knocked back. Is this any less discrimination than race-based discrimination?
Or a modelling job might ask for a certain race model & you might get knocked back - 
so what happens there?

There need to be some limitations and we should not discriminate people with Autism or those with other disabilities rights to who they choose.

Otherwise it becomes a slippery slope - what next?
Not allowing disabled or elderly people to choose a carer of the same gender?

IF you need somebody to care for you at home, you certainly should be allowed to choose whatever since you are paying for it! I definitely wouldn't trust some Sudanese bloke in my house, especially if I was disabled in any way. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad   Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad EmptySat 27 Jun 2020, 5:40 pm

A disability care provider in Victoria has sparked fury after posting a “discriminatory and offensive” job ad that’s been declared racist.

A Melbourne disability care provider has come under fire for posting a job ad that discouraged “dark-skinned” people from applying.
Absolute Care and Health, based in South Yarra, posted the vacancy on website Indeed.com on Monday.

“We request no dark-skinned (Indian or African) applicant apply for this role,” the ad read.
It went on to say it was due to a “client request”.

The post sparked outrage in Melbourne’s Indian and African communities, so much so it has since been removed by the company.
“I felt really, really angry when I saw the ad,” Meenu Chandran, a social worker who had previously worked in the disability care sector, told SBS Malayalam.
She said she had reported the job ad to the Australian Human Rights Commission.
“It is outright discriminatory. I was thinking that people would learn from what is happening in the US with (George) Floyd case, but they didn’t,” she said.
Barbara Ould, the chief executive of Absolute Care and Health, has since acknowledged the ad was discriminatory and offensive.
“On 22nd June, we published a job advertisement which regrettably contained information that was discriminatory and has caused offence,” she told SBS Malayalam in a statement.
“We are deeply saddened and sorry for this unintentional, serious error and for the offence and distress it has caused.”

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/melbourne-disability-care-provider-forced-to-pull-discriminatory-ad/news-story/6206dee8d0c9f8184cae7b5fcf7a9413
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad   Melbourne disability care provider forced to pull ‘discriminatory’ ad Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1