HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections Empty
PostSubject: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptySun 22 Jul 2018, 3:54 pm

Labor appears set to hold three seats but lose one in the Super Saturday of by-elections next weekend.

LATEST BY-ELECTION PROBABILITIES

* PERTH 99 per cent Labor win

* FREMANTLE 99 per cent Labor win

* BRADDON 56 per cent Labor win

* LONGMAN 65 per cent LNP win

* MAYO 81 per cent Centre Alliance win

(Source: sportsbet.com.au)

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/mixed-bag-tipped-in-saturday-byelections/news-story/dbde723224ffac5494cf15d1422a39bb
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptySun 22 Jul 2018, 8:12 pm

Odds are Labor will win back their seats and Mayo will go to Sharkie.

Like to see the Libs win Longman and Braddon, but its unlikely.
Therefore after the by-elections we will be back where we started, unfortunately. with no party having a think about what they are offering.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 7:34 am

Shorten in danger of historic loss

LABOR leader Bill Shorten has just days of campaigning left to avoid an embarrassing failure that no opposition party has suffered in 100 years.

BILL Shorten is facing the possibility of a crushing and unpredecented defeat in the by-elections, with the “Super Saturday” vote just days away.

The Liberal National Party is ahead of Labor in the polls in the Queensland seat of Longman, while Labor is neck-and-neck with the Liberals in the Tasmanian seat of Braddon.

No government has won a seat from the opposition in a century, with by-elections showing an average swing of five per cent against the government of the day.

The latest ReachTEL poll showed the LNP’s Trevor Ruthenberg on 51 per cent of the two-party preferred vote in Longman, based on 38 per cent of the primary vote and a swag of One Nation preferences.

“It is a tough fight. We are the underdogs,” Mr Shorten said.

The Labor leader told supporters in Longman on Sunday it was not how you start, but how you finish that counts, after completing a fun run ahead of the campaign launch for ALP candidate Susan Lamb.

More here:

https://www.news.com.au/national/politics/shorten-in-danger-of-historic-loss/news-story/d98f02c47baa7288d1f9728466e5eab2
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 7:35 am

There is only one Poll that matters ... guess we will have to wait and see what happens once people have voted. ;)
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 6:25 pm

Bill Shorten faces test of leadership as Saturday’s by-elections loom

ONE Nation leader Pauline Hanson has withdrawn from campaigning ahead of a crucial by-election in the Queensland seat of Longman.

Preferences from the party are expected to be a significant factor in deciding who wins the seat, which is currently held by Labor.

The Liberal party is hoping One Nation preferences will get it over the line but Ms Hanson is too tired to use her star power to help deliver the seat.

One Nation candidate in Longman, Matthew Stephen said Ms Hanson was “exhausted and in need of some R&R”.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/bill-shorten-faces-test-of-leadership-as-saturdays-byelections-loom/news-story/2b2fc560b44f99739e43ca2ca2dd9550
Back to top Go down
Valkie

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 8:48 pm

Wouldn't it be great if absolutely no one turned up to vote.

Everybody trusts no party so they just refused to vote.

Imagine the uproar.
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyWed 25 Jul 2018, 9:40 am

It would be nice.
But there are too many rusted-ons for it to ever happen.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptyWed 25 Jul 2018, 3:15 pm

I decided not to bother voting in a by-election some years ago. Didn't even bother to get my name crossed off and a couple of weeks later got a bill from the AEC for $20. "You didn't vote, pay up or we will take you to Court and it could cost you $50" ... I just wrote a cheque ... so it is that long ago (haven't had a cheque book for 15 years at least) but I don't think that the fine for "not getting your name ticked" has changed. So if NOBODY turned up at the current by-elections, wouldn't the AEC have fun sending out bills for $20, and if they ignored that?

I might try the system again next Federal Election. Last time I turned up, got my name ticked off, then wrote rude words about Turncoat.

Obviously, I dislike having to vote, unless I WANT to. It is an inconvenience and my local MP couldn't care less. I get more acknowledgement from the Checkout Chick at Woollies, and that's not much.

This for ALL politicians.

Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections Flipping-the-bird
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections EmptySat 28 Jul 2018, 8:26 pm

Quote :
Speaking to ABC's National Wrap, Special Minister of State Mathias Cormann said the Government was the underdog: "It is a matter of history that incumbent governments find it nigh on impossible to win seats off an opposition at a by-election. For the last 100 years or so no government, of either political persuasion, has won a seat off an opposition at a by-election."

The last time an opposition lost a seat to a government at a by-election was in 1920 — almost 100 years ago.

The previous MP in that by-election, Hugh Mahon, remains the only member in the history of the House of Representatives to be expelled. He re-contested the seat and lost.

So, as predicted, nothing changes.  :sleep:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections   Mixed bag tipped in Saturday by-elections Empty

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AUSSIEPOLITICS :: Australian Politics-
Jump to: