AUSSIEPOLITICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSSIEPOLITICS

Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Don't answer random calls!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritas

Veritas

Don't answer random calls! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Don't answer random calls!   Don't answer random calls! EmptyTue 28 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

No smartphone either
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: Don't answer random calls!   Don't answer random calls! EmptyTue 28 Aug 2018, 8:06 am

I don't have an iPhone either.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Mobile Phone. :D

I get a lot of random calls on my landline, I screen all now and let them go through to the answering machine, if it is a call from somebody I know, they will start to leave a message and I then pick up. Scam callers hang up!

The only people who have my Mobile phone number are family and friends.  I do NOT give it out to anybody and when businesses ask whether I have a Mobile phone, I say "Yes, but I am not giving it to you!"  It is bad enough being on some landline phone list, I do NOT want these fraudsters ringing me on the Mobile.
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: Don't answer random calls!   Don't answer random calls! EmptyMon 27 Aug 2018, 9:16 pm

luckily I do not have an iphone.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Don't answer random calls!   Don't answer random calls! EmptyMon 27 Aug 2018, 4:41 pm

Quote :
GETTING incessant phone calls from a foreign land? Even if you’re a worldly character, think twice before picking up.

If it’s an unknown number with an unusual country code, you probably shouldn’t answer and certainly don’t call back because it will end up costing you. It’s likely that such calls are something known as a “wangiri scam” after a Japanese word which loosely translates to “one ring and cut”.

The phone calls essentially prank your phone in the hopes you will call back at which point you might be unwittingly racking up a hefty bill.

This type of scam has become increasingly common with calls originating from places like Cuba, Africa and Latvia targeting mobile customers in Australia in recent months.

This past weekend, I received one from Morocco and Latvia.

I haven't had any from this lot, yet, but I keep getting random calls that go through to the answering machine, then they hang up.

There's always the Government Scam Watch but they really aren't up to date, I find.

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Don't answer random calls!   Don't answer random calls! Empty

Back to top Go down

Don't answer random calls!
Page 1 of 1