AUSSIEPOLITICS
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AUSSIEPOLITICS

Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Veritas

Veritas

High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru Empty
PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyTue 18 Dec 2018, 2:22 pm

So where are all these dead people?
Or are they just hopeless at committing suicide.
Just how many ended up in hospital on the critical list?
i don't recall any successful attempts at all, nor any real attempts actually.
Back to top Go down
miketrees

PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyTue 18 Dec 2018, 12:45 pm

I am a Lib voter, I may be a One Nation voter if this stuff keeps up
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyThu 13 Dec 2018, 5:51 pm

Veritas wrote:
OMG I have the occasional suicidal thoughts too...  am I on Nauru?

Resignation Syndrome is a rare disease that everyone on Nauru gets I suppose, i think it's bullshit myself.

It's bullshit.

I think most people think "why bother" every so often but that passes when you realise The World doesn't owe you a living.  I feel very sad when kids commit suicide though, because they are "bullied" (it was called being teased when I was a kid) ...  there is something dramatically WRONG with life these days when people, especially children, can't take a bit of "teasing", who tells them how to suicide? The Internet?
Back to top Go down
Veritas

Veritas

PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyMon 10 Dec 2018, 6:32 pm

OMG I have the occasional suicidal thoughts too... am I on Nauru?

Resignation Syndrome is a rare disease that everyone on Nauru gets I suppose, i think it's bullshit myself.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyMon 03 Dec 2018, 12:31 pm

Quote :
Six per cent of refugees have been diagnosed with resignation syndrome, a rare condition where patients enter a semi-comatose state and are unable to eat or drink.

What the hell is "resignation syndrome"?  :shock:

Haven't they got the option of "going home"? They aren't being held against their will.  They are trying everything to get to Australia and the FREE money, house, TV and so forth.

Now, Phelps wants to bring the kids and their family to Australia for "medical treatment" ... why doesn't she go there and attend to them, she is a Doctor, isn't she?
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin
Neferti

PostSubject: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru EmptyMon 03 Dec 2018, 12:25 pm

Mental health conditions have developed to "inhumane" levels in an Australian offshore detention centre, with 60 per cent of refugees on Nauru experiencing suicidal thoughts, a doctors group says.

Medecins Sans Frontieres said in a report that 30 per cent of asylum seekers treated on the Pacific Island have attempted to take their own lives, including children as young as nine.

Among 208 patients seen by the group's doctors, 62 per cent had been diagnosed with moderate or severe depression.

Six per cent of refugees have been diagnosed with resignation syndrome, a rare condition where patients enter a semi-comatose state and are unable to eat or drink.

MSF Australia president Stewart Condon is calling for the Australian government to put an immediate end to offshore processing.

"Being trapped in indefinite limbo for five years with unclear and unjust processes has led to widespread feelings of hopelessness," he told reporters in Canberra on Monday.

"The evidence unequivocally shows that people's mental health is at serious risk when being held in detention.

"This is unacceptable, inhumane and, frankly, dangerous."

MSF Australia psychologist Christine Rufener said there were refugees who had lost all hope.

"Every day I worried which of my patients might attempt to take their own lives," Dr Rufener told reporters.

The release of the MSF Australia report, titled Indefinite Despair, comes as protesters rally outside Parliament House in a bid to push the government to act on removing refugees from detention.

Other rallies will also be held outside the offices of MPs, including the Immigration Minister David Coleman

Independent MP Kerryn Phelps introduced a bill to parliament to facilitate the urgent evacuation of any asylum seeker who was critically ill and unable to be treated offshore.

It would strip existing legislation for the ability of Australia's immigration minister to veto medical transfer requests from treating doctors.

"It is appalling that the Australian government has pushed children to such despair, to the point where they've lost the will to live," Dr Phelps told parliament on Monday.

Dr Phelps has the backing of fellow crossbenchers Andrew Wilkie, Rebekha Sharkie and Adam Bandt but she will need more support to bring on debate in the lower house.

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/high-rates-of-suicide-attempts-on-nauru/news-story/c9707c8248e6501087ce5ae28730450f
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru   High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru Empty

Back to top Go down

High rates of suicide attempts on Nauru
Page 1 of 1