Discuss Australian politics and other general stuff

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Neferti
Admin

PostSubject: Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote   Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:25 pm

Australians have faith Peter Dutton will keep the nation's borders secure, the prime minister says, ahead of a vote of no-confidence against his colleague.

Pressure is mounting on the Home Affairs minister over his personal intervention in two visa cases to save European nannies from deportation in 2015.

Greens MP Adam Bandt will move a no-confidence motion when federal parliament resumes next week, with fellow crossbencher Andrew Wilkie and Labor set to support him.

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he is not surprised the Greens don't have confidence in Mr Dutton but that Australians don't agree.

"I believe he has the confidence of the Australian people, and certainly of his team, to ensure that we keep our borders secure," Mr Morrison told reporters in Cairns on Tuesday.

Mr Dutton has described the vote as a "desperate act of trying to stay relevant" by Mr Bandt.

"I don't think he is, and I think people will see through it," Mr Dutton told Network Seven.

The vote is set to be tight with the government's numbers in the lower house diminished by former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull's resignation and Nationals MP Kevin Hogan's move to the cross bench.

Mr Dutton has threatened to turn the tables on his critics and release a "prudently compiled" list of Labor MPs who have asked him for help on "quirky" visa issues.

"It is not a dirt list - it is just a reality of the representations that I get," the minister said.

"The Labor Party have made plenty of presentations, so don't try and make out that I've acted outside the rules, which I haven't."

The cases relate to an Italian au pair who was linked to Mr Dutton's former Queensland Police colleague, and a French woman who had worked for a relative of AFL boss Gillon McLachlan.

Mr Bandt says Mr Dutton misled parliament by saying he had no personal connection to the cases.

"Peter Dutton has been caught out, he has no explanation and if he won't resign, parliament should make it clear it has no confidence in him," the Greens MP said.

Mr Dutton strenuously denies he has any personal links to the two cases.

"One bloke I have never met and the other bloke I worked with him as a police officer in 1998 and 1999," he said.

"He didn't have my mobile phone number, didn't have my private email address, sent the request to have a look at this case through my Facebook page or my publicly available email address. There is no personal link there."

Labor leader Bill Shorten said Australians were "cheesed off" by the inconsistency in decision making.

"Under Morrison and Dutton and the Liberals it's who you know, not what you know, and I don't think that's the Australian way."

https://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/peter-dutton-to-face-noconfidence-motion/news-story/d2aeaf0cb432c497cad88fc62c6bb2ff
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote   Tue 04 Sep 2018, 3:27 pm

Looks like there will be a bit of "fun" in Parliament next week.
Back to top Go down
Neferti
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote   Wed 05 Sep 2018, 5:52 pm

I anticipate that it will be the usual Bun Fight in Parliament. They act like school kids.

It is no wonder that Political Forums turn out the same way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote   

Back to top Go down

Dutton faces 'desperate' confidence vote
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
AUSSIEPOLITICS :: Australian Politics-
Jump to: